Saturday, June 6, 2015

The White review

The White 

by T. L. Shreffler

"Ever since The White appeared in our valley of Windridge, my people have lived in fear. But today that fear ends. Finally, the King has sent his most elite dragon hunters to kill The White, the last of the imperial dragons."

Since the death of her father, Sienna Foxburn hasn’t felt safe. The White, a fire-breathing imperial dragon, terrorizes the Valley of Windridge with no end in sight. But Sienna isn’t satisfied hiding behind the walls of her keep. She is tired of fearing the dragon, but she can’t fight it alone.

Then a mysterious sorceress and two elite dragon hunters arrive, claiming to be sent by the King. Thus begins the great hunt for The White. Sienna embarks on a dragon-hunting adventure through the exotic Valley of Windridge, all while uncovering secrets and conspiracies that could endanger the entire Kingdom….

The beginning of another great series by one of my favorite authors. I'm already a huge fan of her Cat's Eye Chronicles and it looks like The Dragon Pearl series will be no different. The story centers around Sienna Foxburn, a young woman who doesn't feel quite like she has a place within the safe walls of her home, feeling more comfortable roaming the lands around it. I find her to be a very realistic character, she has her skills and confidence in certain areas, but she can also be a bit reckless at times and has some fears she will need to overcome. all in all, I really like her.

Then there's this awesome character named Darius. He is frightening and dangerous, but he's not the quiet, gloomy brooding type like a certain assassin from the Cat's Eye Chronicles. He smiles and even takes part in conversation. I like his character so much and look forward to his further interactions with Sienna. There is something there that piqued my interest greatly.
 
The White is full of action and my most favorite: dragons. Being a avid tabletop gamer, I like how Shreffler didn't go with the flow of stereotypical everyday fantasy dragons. The one that caught my interest the most was the mirror dragon. I love the concept!

The only part I didn't like what how abrupt the ending felt. I don't mind cliffhangers, but this one kind left me with an irritated feeling, like there should have been maybe a page or two more to smooth out the ending a bit. All in all, I loved it.

Now I have two series by Miss Shreffler that I am eagerly awaiting the next installments!

No comments:

Post a Comment