Saturday, July 2, 2016

The Painful Truth of Character Injuries

The characters in the Chronicles of Midgard have come a long way. They've faced many trials and have manged to get through them all with at most some minor injuries. Now, as the forth book in the series, Breach of Neutrality, progresses along, I find that I am faced with a dilemma. After all Maeja, Connor, Linkyn, Ril, and Mjrn have been through, it isn't entirely believable that they'll keep getting along with only some scrapes and bruises. The threat is increasing, the danger more prominent now than ever. I started writing a scene yesterday that I realized would turn out badly for one character in particular. There would be a life changing injury. At first I considered rewriting the whole scene, as said injury was not initially intended. Yet, after great debate, I decided to continue it as it was turning out. It would be growth for the character, having to deal with such a life changing event as well as growing stronger from it.

As the author, I feel terrible doing this to him. Many authors hate to harm their precious creations, though I know of a few who couldn't care less how many fall. However, it is unbelievable that at this stage in the story, everything would go by smoothly without problem. And so I regretfully decided to continue with the scene as it was turning out.

So I say this to the character, as well as my readers who might find him their favorite: I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.


But, on a lighter note, I'm not George R.R. Martin. I don't go off slaughtering characters left and right. While I probably should kill more off than I actually do, I refuse to go to that extent.

No comments:

Post a Comment